Monday, March 4, 2013

Sunshine and Rain Clouds

You can change the world around you with a smile or a frown, a kind word or an insult.  I was recently struck by the power one negative attitude can have over a whole group of people.  Once the rain clouds start rolling in it's difficult to see the sunshine.  Our demeanor can be contagious.  If we insist on being a negative influence, why would we expect the people around us to be anything but negative?  The good news is that a positive attitude can be contagious as well.  If we have the strength to shine we can cut through the gloom.  I know that on my own I don't have the strength, but "all things are possible through Christ who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:13  

To often the negative attitude is my own.  I desperately want someone to shine a light strong enough to chase away my storm, but I have to find my strength and joy in Christ.  I can't depend on other people to meet my needs.  Sometimes I just seem to want to wallow in misery, but that is letting the enemy have a foothold.  I have to repent and turn to my Savior.  Personally, when I am tired I have a terrible time seeing things in a positive light.  Sometimes I just need to admit that I am weak and take a nap.  Things often look different after a rest, and that rest is a gift from God.  Jesus knows that we must rest.  He slept in a boat during a storm.  In Mark 6:31 he urged his disciples to “Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while,” and he invites us in Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."  God provides what we need to be the people he has called us to be, but we have to lay down our pride and admit our need. 

Having so often struggled with discouragement, and having been so recently affected by contagious attitudes, I don't want to forget the lesson I have learned about how quickly enthusiasm can be extinguished by the negativity that surrounds it.  I pray for the strength to shine on those who need encouragement instead of smothering the flame; the stamina to fuel the excitement and watch it spread. We can find the positive and encourage each other with it, or we can dwell on the negative and bring others down.  It's easy to yield to discouragement, but life is so much better when we refuse to give in to it.  My prayer is that you and I will each make a conscious effort to be the cheerleader, not the heckler; the one who lifts up, not the one who puts down; the one who finds a way, not the one who gives up.  Though the influences around us are strong, we can shine through the clouds even when others rain on our parade.  I know I can't do it in my own strength, but I am thankful that I have Christ to give me strength.

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

As always, if you have not yet received Christ as your Savior it would be my privilege to talk with you about starting that relationship.  Even if you do know Jesus, and you have something you'd like to talk about, just send me a message and I will be in touch.   ~Juanita (jmhuyett@verizon.net)


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that blesses you, please share it with your friends. Also, please don't be bashful about leaving comments or asking questions. :) ~Juanita (jmhuyett@verizon.net)