Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Taste and See

Five members of our worship team were away at a conference together last week.  It was a nice time to hang out and learn together.  One of the things we were encouraged to do is to start writing songs about what is going on in our church.  Our tendency is to just sing songs from other churches.  They are good songs, but if we write our own it captures the heartbeat of what God is doing among us locally.  They suggested ways to begin doing this, and one of them was to use the pastor's sermon as a springboard.  This Sunday when I was sitting in church and our pastor said, "God's love is like ice cream," I thought, "there it is, I have to write a song about that."  It started out as a joke.  I don't think I really expected to get a whole song out of it.  I knew from the beginning that, though he was using this as a good metaphor, as a song it would be a bit silly.  I believe that God approves of our joyful laughter though, because He is joyful. I had a few unexpected minutes alone in the car Sunday, and when I prayed about this idea and began to sing, the chorus seemed to flow out.  All that was left to do was figure out the chords and build some verses to support it.  I've attempted to keep the meaning of the metaphor, while having a little fun with it.  I don't really feel like I write songs, but that God writes them through me.  Sometimes He just puts them in my heart and they come pouring out, other times I get an idea and He uses my effort to produce them, but either way they are His.  My daughter says this one is cheesy...  cream cheesy.  ;)  That's okay; I know she has a special affection for cheese.  I think she might be inspired to write a song about it.

The Ice Cream Song

Taste and see the Lord is good, Things don't compare, but if they could
And I could say it's like a food, then You're love is like ice cream.

You're love, You're love is like ice cream, ice cream

Rich and creamy, sweet and smooth; so many flavors I can't choose.
The good news is I don't have to... You give them all to me.

Chocolate, mint or rocky road, You're merciful gracious and good.
Add caramel, fudge, chips, nuts or fruit, cause you accept us all.

Dip it, scoop it, serve it soft. You paid the tab upon the cross,
So all you are is truly ours, each flavor of Your love.

The Ice Cream Song

Juanita Huyett

©2013 jmhuyett

March 19


This will be even more fun if Austin adds the rap that he is hearing in the background.  If he get's that part together we'll have to make a new video, or maybe have Cody help us mix an mp3 so that the vocals and guitar can be more balanced. I told him if he actually did it I would definitely add his name to the writer credits.  :)


2 comments:

  1. Love the "fire" in the background;)
    Worried that it might melt your ice cream though!

    This is adorable, Juanita. Thanks for sharing it with us:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shauna. :) The fire was Heather's idea.

      Delete

If you read something here that blesses you, please share it with your friends. Also, please don't be bashful about leaving comments or asking questions. :) ~Juanita (jmhuyett@verizon.net)