Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Just Jump!

Sometimes my life reminds me of the time I got stuck on the high dive at the pool when I was in my tweens.  I climbed up there because I wanted to conquer the challenge.  I had a goal.  I had an audience too.  I got out to the end of the diving board and I stared down at the water.  I kept trying to convince myself to take the leap, but the longer I stood there the more nervous I got.  People started yelling at me.  Much of this was because there was a line behind me of people who weren't afraid and wanted their turn.  In the end I hung my head and climbed back down the ladder.  I don't want to live like that.  In the swimming pool of life it is time for me to hold my breath and jump, trusting that by the grace of God I will float and maybe even swim.

In the book of Matthew (14:22-33) Peter doesn't climb a high dive, instead he steps out of the boat on a windy night.  He has a purpose!  He is going to meet Jesus out on the water.  The waves are crashing around him, the other disciples are watching him, they may have even been yelling at him.  Peter probably looked at the water; NIV says he "saw the wind."  He started to sink.  Jesus rescued Peter from drowning that day, and he taught us an important lesson.  When our focus is on Jesus, and we look to him for our strength, every plan that God has given us will succeed.  When we become distracted by circumstances, spectators, hecklers or even cheerleaders, we fail to exercise the power available to us.  Focusing on our weakness, or our ability, rather than on Christ's strength is a tried and true recipe for defeat.

I'd been standing on the proverbial diving board for a long time waiting for someone to push me off.  I guess I'd rather be pushed because then, if I sink, there is someone else to blame.  I've been standing at the side of the boat looking out and asking, "do You really want me to do this, or is this just some crazy thing I have concocted?"  I recently took a long awaited plunge.  Storms raged around and in me while I hesitated, but finally the conviction became so strong that there was no turning back.  I've already had moments where I felt like I was sinking, but Jesus is always there and when I focus on him I rise.  Life is full of opportunities to take a leap of faith.  It's not meant to be a spectator's sport, and if we won't get wet we find ourselves watching it pass us by.  We receive so much blessing from doing the things God has called us to, but the glory is His alone.  If you've been standing on the edge, make sure your eyes are on Jesus then go for it, but remember to stay focused on Him.  I need to stay focused on Him!

Hebrews 12:2  Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising it's shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 

Going
Water swirling, waves are crashing;
There is somewhere I must go.
Boat won't take me.  Faith will only.
Now my Savior's will I know.

Wind is blowing, boat is rocking;
I must step beyond it's bow.
Water's cold now, clothes are heavy,
But my end He won't allow.

Feet are walking.  Jesus calling!
Now my eyes are fixed on Him.
Arms that catch me. His face I see.
He's the Light that never dims.

J.M. Huyett  (March 13, 2013)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Juanita.
    You have such a gift for writing:)

    I've always been one who would prefer to just not try, rather than try and possibly fail. Cowardice is not a very flattering character trait, I'm afraid:(

    I'm so proud of you for taking the leap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shauna. I really appreciate your affirmation. The truth is that God used you to strengthen my resolve to try. It wasn't something I had to do alone, He has provided friends to walk along with me, and for that gift I am truly thankful.

      Life is a learning and growing experience. You've taken your own leap, and you are doing great! Don't look back! Remember, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13

      Delete

If you read something here that blesses you, please share it with your friends. Also, please don't be bashful about leaving comments or asking questions. :) ~Juanita (jmhuyett@verizon.net)