Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My Good

Today I was thinking about the song "Your Love Never Fails" and reflecting on the way the bridge affects me.  The words are, "You make all things work together for my good."  I assume that this is adapted from Romans 8:28 which says, "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (ESV Bible)  The reason this sends up a yellow flag for me is that the verse doesn't say that He works all things together for the good of everyone.  A yellow flag of course means, "proceed with caution."  There may be danger ahead.  Whenever I experience a warning like this related to scripture I take it seriously. 

I ask the question, "why is the writer of the song stating the thought in this manner?  Is this Biblical?"  The answer, I conclude, is that for the writer the statement is probably absolutely true.  There are conditions in the verse.  God makes everything work together for certain people, and it states two criteria:  A love for God and a calling that is according to His purpose.   When Anthony Skinner and Chris McClarney were writing this song they probably looked at those two conditions and claimed this as a promise, because, they know in their hearts that they fit the profile.  They can say, "You make all things work together for my good," with confidence.  

The next question is, "do I fit this criteria?"  Praise the Lord the answer is, "absolutely!"  There was a time when I was not so sure.  I knew I had accepted what Christ had done to save me from my sin, but how much did I really love Him.  I know that I have not yet the capacity to love Him  thoroughly and unselfishly as he loves me, but I know that I love him.  He has shown me that I do.  He has brought me to a place of understanding that to live is Christ and to die is gain, as Paul says in Philippians 1:21, though I don't envy Paul his trials.  He has made it clear to me that I have been called according to His purpose and possess the Holy Spirit by demonstrating his power in my life and using me to do things I am not naturally equipped for.  Thankfully I can sing with confidence, "You make all things work together for my good," because I know that ultimately His good is my good: not my temporary physical, mental or material good, but my eternal good.

I would be surprised if there were not a few people reading this who lack the confidence to really be able to claim this as a promise to them.  If you are not sure you really love God and have been called according to His purpose, please talk to someone who does and ask questions of your own, or pick up a Bible and start reading in the New Testament.  You may certainly get in touch with me (jmhuyett@verizon.net) and I will help you become acquainted with Him.  I will not pretend to even come close to understanding Him completely, for He is so vast, but through His word He has revealed enough of Himself, bringing me this far, and as I often remind myself, "...I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you  will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."  Philippians 1:6 (ESV)  

Have you authorized the work to begin?  God does not bully his way into your heart with His bulldozer and construction crew.  You must invite Him to come in, trusting that the sacrifice of His Son has cleared you from all the charges in your "sin account."  When you say, "Yes, Lord," he will begin a NEW work in you (2 Corinthians 5:17), and He will work all thing together for your eternal good." 

"Yet to all who received His, to those who believed on His name, He gave the right to become children of God."  John 1:12 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that blesses you, please share it with your friends. Also, please don't be bashful about leaving comments or asking questions. :) ~Juanita (jmhuyett@verizon.net)