Sunday, January 29, 2012

I Will Never... Or Will I?

Do you ever surprise yourself?  There are activities that I enjoy now, but could hardly have pictured myself actually doing ten years ago.  I never thought that I would read for pleasure, but that all changed the day I picked up Pride and Prejudice and determined to struggle through it.  It was a surprise to discover I enjoyed it.  I never thought I would ride a motorcycle, but that changed too.  I think it all began when I saw how cool Autumn looked with her bike.  :)  I never thought I would run, and if for some reason I had to I certainly didn't think I would enjoy it, but then Pastor Jim encouraged us to participate in the Resolution Run, and once again I began to change.

So many times I have made judgements about things without ever trying them.  Some things I have tried and didn't like, but sometimes something clicks some where along the way and I find myself in a whole new world.  There are also things that I have always wanted to do, but the fear of failure has held me back.  There was a time when I thought I would never be able to sing a solo, but with a little encouragement I swallowed my fear and stepped up to the mic.  To God be the glory!!!  Who would have ever thought that I would climb to the top of a tall pine tree or crawl through a drainage pipe to retrieve a geocache?  Life is funny that way.  One day you think you can't or won't do something, and the next day you find that you can and will.

The next time you are tempted to think that you never could or would do something, take a moment to reflect on the things you do now that surprise you.  Today you may not like to cook, or sew, or use a computer, but tomorrow you may learn something new that revolutionizes the task.  Maybe you think you will never water ski, sky dive, or go rock climbing, but you actually have just not had the right opportunity.  Perhaps you have always wanted to play an instrument, run a marathon, or start your own business, but you never thought you had what it takes.  I hope you won't be afraid to try.  Life is so much better when we actively live it rather than watch it pass us by. 

I intend to keep growing, and learning, and trying new things.  Learning new things tends to draw me closer to God as I depend on Him for strength, courage and ability.  I am excited about the possibilities when I trust God while giving something my best effort.  My best effort is bound to fail on its own, but He is able to bring forth victory. 

Philippians 4:13  I can do everything through him who gives me strength.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that blesses you, please share it with your friends. Also, please don't be bashful about leaving comments or asking questions. :) ~Juanita (jmhuyett@verizon.net)