Sunday, January 29, 2012

Up The Pike

Today I did something I have been wanting to try for a while now.  It all started on August 21 when a girl, who had never purposely run anywhere, heard her pastor propose that the congregation run the annual New Year's Eve 5k together.  I started out just running as much of it as I could and walking the rest three days a week.  I was running the whole distance before I had expected, continued training, and was thrilled to participate in the Resolution Run on December 31, 2011.  I have continued running, and plan to gradually increase my distance.  Today I started out walking toward Rattlesnake pike where I usually run, but as I neared the intersection I felt compelled to turn the opposite direction and head up Unionville Pike instead.  I think the wind had something to do with it.  I was cold, and thought that the extra effort and the shelter of the trees might warm me up.  The part of Rattlesnake Pike that I run is a very gradual incline, but Unionville Pike is a two mile hill.  I am pleased to report that, with help from my Lord who is my constant running companion, I ran to the top and all the way back down.  I thought about turning around several times, but was always encouraged to keep going.  The final time I was tempted to stop short I saw the sign indicating that there was a stop sign ahead.  That was the light at the end of the tunnel.  On the way down I found myself favoring my left leg as my right knee whimpered and groaned,  but I made it to the bottom.  It just feels so good to accomplish something that once seemed impossible.  Will I pay for it tomorrow?...  Probably, but it was worth the victory today.  When will I be doing it again?...  Well, that will probably depend on how much it ends up costing.   Do you have a mountain you would like to climb?  Tell me about it and I will pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that blesses you, please share it with your friends. Also, please don't be bashful about leaving comments or asking questions. :) ~Juanita (jmhuyett@verizon.net)