Friday, July 3, 2015

What I Lack

In this age of hot topics and heated debates it is easy to get drawn into an argument.  The vast majority seems to feel the need to pick a team and fight for their agenda.  I'm on a team, but it's not one of the more popular ones.  I'm on the Jesus team.  While others are looking for a fight and loudly proclaiming their position, I have to have faith that my position is clear without offensive words.  It's not that I don't have convictions on these matters, rather it's that Christ in me is teaching this vessel of His what is important.

Is purity important?  Yes, it is, so I should live as purely as I possibly can.  Is honesty important? Yes, so I should be honest at all times.  Is kindness important?  Why yes, yes it is!  That means that when I am called to speak I must speak the truth with kindness, though it may oppose popular opinion.  Is love important?  Indeed, Jesus said love is most important.  The apostle Paul wrote a beautiful chapter about it in Corinthians, trust me and click the link; it's worth the read.

So my desire is to exhibit love, what I lack is the willingness to unnecessarily alienate those who disagree with the truths I hold dear.  Does that mean I will not share my heart on these subjects?  No, it just means that I will do my utmost to do it at the right time and in the right context. It means that I want others to know that I will speak the truth from my heart, but that I will do so with respect and concern, not out of a need to be right or win an argument.  That means I have to have a relationship of trust with those I speak with.

Many of the issues we tear each other up over, on both sides, are fads or traditions that the crowds follow with the same uninformed eagerness that they follow fashion trends. Often rather than a true conviction of the heart and mind, we make our decisions based on emotion and desire.  We fail to step back and try to gain some perspective.  Why am I so dedicated to this principle?  Have I given the opposite point of view adequate consideration?  What is at the core of my belief system, and do my walk and my talk align with my values?  If I really examine my arguments, can I find a double standard in them?

I am willing to have discussions on the hot topics, but I would like to have them in the context of mutual respect.  If it has to be an argument with nasty, angry words and name calling, then it's not worth having because no one is really listening to anyone else. Let's take the time to listen to each other.  Let's make the effort to relate rather than react.  Let's remember to treat others the way we want them to treat us, not necessarily the way they are treating us.  Let's demonstrate 1 Corinthians 13 love:  real love.        

"...I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."  2 Timothy 1:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that blesses you, please share it with your friends. Also, please don't be bashful about leaving comments or asking questions. :) ~Juanita (jmhuyett@verizon.net)